Monday 13 February 2012

Scandinavian Houses II


I have been working hard this week. This is a quilt wall-hanging I made for a new baby's nursery. I am pretty happy with the result. It's a modification of my original Scandinavian Houses quilt, using more neutral shades of gray and navy, since the mother doesn't know yet if she's having a boy or a girl.


I'm going to add a few more details by hand - a button doorknob perhaps...maybe some hand quilting around the sun. There are a lot of different details involved - some simple appliqué, along with standard piecing, then minimal free-form quilting.


The top corners of the quilt back have these handy little pockets for inserting a rigid dowel to hang the whole thing from two hooks on each side. Normally, for a wall-hanging, you would use a longer, even sturdier sleeve to insert a thin plank along the top back. But, I came up with this design in case the mother decided to actually use the quilt; the pockets are small and inconspicuous enough not to be noticed when in use. It's possible that there is an even better way to suit both uses - I am still learning so much with sewing that I feel my mind will never get tired of it, even though my shoulders are killing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment