Tuesday 7 February 2012

A Whole Lot of Pfaff

I am wonderfully tired. I spent every spare moment of the day in my creative zone and accomplished much. So, I'm rewarding myself with some couch time, a glass of bourbon, and a pretty golden box of truffles. Also, there is a steaming bag of hot water on my neck.

---


Oh.Yeah.
(The music in my head is what plays when Ferris Bueller's BFF reveals his dad's sports car)


I got a new sewing machine. It's a Pfaff 2056. A brand I had never even heard of until three weeks ago. A heavy metal, Swedish-made work horse that does things I didn't even know could be done. A machine I couldn't afford in the US shop I found it in, but by some miracle,  I found one on ebay that was within driving distance from my house - at more than half the price. I spent about three days sweating over the decision while I was visiting at my mom's house in Minnesota. One look in my eyes and my mom said, "You've got the fever, haven't you?" She doesn't even sew, but she knew what she was talking about.

Made in Sweden. OH. YEAH.
That makes me happy.

I flew back home to the UK and a few days later made the trek across the English Midlands in search of my new machine. Ever since, I find excuses to run to the machine - "What's that, honey? You left your mittens in Minnesota? Let me whip up a pair!" In 20 minutes there were mittens. Never mind that they were too small - there were mittens in 20 minutes!!!



So I have been sewing little bits of spontaneous projects between doing up several orders I have received from my etsy shop. I'm working on another bunting banner made entirely from one little boy's baby bibs. The mother actually had a bib for every American holiday during his first year, as well as several other cute little bibs, and a hospital receiving blanket. There were a lot of different sizes involved so the final design was a big compromise with what we wanted for length while keeping the best of the bibs still in the bunting. There are 16 bibs in all sizes, so we decided to alternate squares and triangles, since the triangular shape would not support most of the motifs. I think it is turning out really nicely so far, but I will be sure to post the final photos.

I'm also working on a quilt commission, that will also include full bedding for a nursery. It's a bit of a daunting project, but the quilt is based on my Scandinavian Houses quilt design so it is more free form and enjoyable for me to do.

---

So. That is why I have a hot water bottle strapped to my neck!

No comments:

Post a Comment